The History of Belair Road

June 19, 2019

Fran Lane

Belair Road began as the private drive of Harry Dorsey Gough, proprietor of Perry Hall Mansion, into the town of Baltimore. The road was transformed in the nineteenth century into a major thoroughfare for traffic traveling between Baltimore and the Jerusalem Mill in Kingsville. In 1810 Belair Road was developed by using prisoners. When the road was completed, it was known as the Baltimore and Jerusalem Pike Turnpike and had tollgates–which were privately run. There was a tollgate in Perry Hall where the animal hospital now stands.